Yield: icing for a single 9” cake
- 8 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup butter (at room temperature)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 lemons, juiced and zested
- Combine all ingredients into a sauce pot and whisk until eggs are scrambled and the honey is encorporated.
- Place over a very low flame and let it begin to cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring very occasionally until the eggs have coagulated and it has become a thick gelatinous liquid. It is ok if some parts are over coagulated.
- Pour all the liquid into a blender and puree for 10-15 seconds, until everything is homogenized and smooth.
- Before it cools, gently and evenly pour and spread the lemon curd icing over the cake. Let it cool completely before serving.
- The thickness of the icing comes from the coagulated eggs, so it is very important that you let the eggs coagulate in step 2. Since you will be blending them together, effectively making them incredibly smooth, it is ok to over-coagulate them to play it safe.
- It is important not to let the icing cool before spreading it on the cake. Once cooled, it becomes fairly solid and won’t spread easily.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Travis Bettinson