A grain-free dairy-free delight
This Cinnamon Babka is highly addictive. Our family feels compelled to keep shaving off slices to "straighten the edge". Originally, Babka was a traditional sweet eastern European yeast cake. This version is grain and dairy free yet very close in taste and texture to the original. It is enjoyed even by those who do not observe SCD.
- 3 cups almond flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup coconut oil (softened or melted)
- 2 generous tablespoons good quality cinnamon
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (softened or melted)
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Line a Pyrex baking dish with parchment baking paper. The recipe is sufficient for either an 8” square, 9” round or two 1 quart loaf dishes. For muffins, line muffin baking trays with parchment baking cups
- Combine all Dough ingredients in one bowl and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes (to firm up a bit).
- Place 2 tablespoons of the cinnamon in the middle of a large flat plate
- In a second bowl, combine the remaining Cinnamon-Nut Swirl ingredients (chopped nuts, raisins, honey and softened coconut oil).
- Take the dough out of the refrigerator and pinch off small 1-inch balls (use a cookie scooper to make easy, unified size balls)
- Roll each ball in the cinnamon, until all the balls are nicely coated with cinnamon and all the cinnamon has been used
- Next, arrange the balls in the pre-lined baking dish, while spreading the nut mixture evenly around all the balls
- Place the balls and nut mixture in the dish so they all combine into a lovely tapestry and then press the top of the mixture until it is flat and ready for baking.
- Place in the pre-heated oven and bake at 350F , start checking if ready after 24 minutes.
- Adjust the baking time depending on the dish you are using.
- Muffins may need less baking time.
- Loaf style dishes may need added time with lower temperature, to avoid scorching the bottom while the middle is still baking.
- When ready, the top will appear browned and the top of the cake will spring back from a light touch.
We love the Cinnamon-Nut swirl so much that we increase the amount of chopped nuts and raisins used in the Cinnamon-Nut swirl from one cup in total to one and a half cups.