Easy key lime pie and bars
SCD, Paleo, GAPS, Dairy free. This sweet and tart family favorite is easy to prepare, but it disappears fast because everyone likes it…
Base layer ingredients
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup honey
- 6 Tbs coconut butter melted
- 1 Tbs vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
Top layer ingredients
- 3/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Line a Pyrex baking dish with baking paper (size 9" x 9" or a round pie dish)
- Mix all the base ingredients well (the dough will be ‘sticky’) and spread evenly on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Bake about 15 minutes or until golden-brown.
- Remove from oven and let cake cool.
- While bottom is cooling, prepare the lime top layer. Simply combine all the top layer ingredients and mix well.
- Make sure the oven is still at 350 as you get ready to bake again.
- Pour the lime batter on top of the base. The batter will be ‘runny’.
- Carefully place the baking dish in the pre-heated oven (350) and bake for 25-30 minutes (until the batter firms up but before it gets too dry).
- We bake this as a pie or as square lime bars.
- We omit lime zest because most store-bought limes, even organic ones, are coated with wax. If you have access to tree-fresh limes, add a tablespoon of lime zest and enjoy the extra touch of flavor.