This chicken soup recipe is the result of a few weeks of ongoing attempts to create a rich Asian inspired soup that is quick and easy to make in an instant pot. The entire process can be completed in under an hour and generates a rich broth, succulent chicken, and a quick fun per meal prep when doling out portions during the week.
You can play with a variety of variations depending upon the fresh vegetables that are available.
Asian chicken soup
- Instant pot (8Q)
- 1 tbsp coconut butter
- 6 large chicken thighs
- 1 onion
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 in fresh ginger peeled and thin sliced
- 1 large turnip (can substitute daikon radish)
- 2 4 in lengths lemon grass split lengthwise
- 8 cups water
- 4 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 bunch italian parsley
- 1 tbsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded napa cabbage (or thinly sliced baby bok choy)
- 4-5 thin sliced shitake mushrooms
- 1 tsp diced jalapeno pepper
- 2-3 chopped scallions
- Please the coconut butter at the bottom of the instant pot and turn on the Instant pot to Saute.1 tbsp coconut butter
- Quarter and slice the onion, adding it to the bottom of the Instant pot once the coconut butter has melted until glassy.1 onion
- Smash the garlic cloves flat and add them to the Instant pot as soon as the onions turn glassy.6 cloves garlic
- Add the thin sliced freshly peeled ginger to the mixture.2 in fresh ginger
- At this point you can shut off the Instant pot by pressing Cancel, while stirring to avoid having the onions brown. If you need to stop the saute simply add the first cup of water.
- Cut the peeled turnip root (or daikon radish) into julienne strips and add to the pot.1 large turnip
- Add the split lemongrass stalks2 4 in lengths lemon grass
- Add the chicken thighs on top of the turnip, creating a single uniform layer6 large chicken thighs
- Add salt and pepper4 tbsp kosher salt, 1 tbsp fresh ground black pepper
- Add the remaining water. The actual amount will vary depending upon the size and amount of the earlier ingredients. Do not exceed the max fill line for liquids for your model! Note that the max fill line is NOT the max capacity line.8 cups water
- Add the greens to the top.1 bunch cilantro, 1 bunch italian parsley
- Start the Instant pot on manual, high pressure, with a set time of 17 minutes. Ensure that the pressure valve is closed and now it is simply a matter of waiting for the bell to ring.
- Once the cooking is done, remove the cilantro and parsley from the Instant pot, straining the liquid from the greens to retain it in the soup.
- The soup may be eaten fresh or refrigerated and warmed when needed.
Serving the soup
- When serving, add the fresh vegetables listed to the hot broth taking care not to bring the soup to a boil! The cooking of the veggies should be short, 2-3 minutes at most, and impart the flavor, while the veggies retain their crispness. The quantities are per serving, and each serving should contain a chicken thigh, along with broth, turnip, onion, garlic and ginger.
- Add the diced jalapeno to the soup when warming. You can vary the pepper type and amount to adjust the heat to your taste.1 tsp diced jalapeno pepper
- Follow with the napa cabbage (or baby bok choy) and scallions.1/2 cup shredded napa cabbage, 2-3 chopped scallions
- Finally, add the thin sliced shitake mushrooms and stir them into the broth.4-5 thin sliced shitake mushrooms
- Remove from heat after 2-3 minutes and serve.