These coconut macaroons are easy to prepare and make for delicious treats.
- 1 1/2 cups egg whites (store bought carton of all natural egg whites).
- 1 cup honey
- 3 cups fine shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon vanilla powder or 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (freshly squeezed or bottled)
- One of the flavor options below
- Berries. Mix into the batter before baking, 1/2 to 1 cup of fresh or dried berries (raspberries, strawberries or blueberries in any combination)
- Lemon. Mix into the batter before baking, 1 teaspoon lemon flavor plus 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Cranberries. For winter holidays, mix into the batter before baking 1/2 to 1 cup of fresh small cranberries.
- Raisins. Mix into the batter before baking 1/2 cup of raisins or currants.
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- Line a muffin tray with parchment paper baking cups.
- Combine all ingredients and flavor choice in a large bowl.
- Scoop the mixture into the prelined baking cups, filling each only half to 2/3 of the way.
- Bake at 300 F for 30 – 40 minutes or until very slightly brown on top and springy to the touch.
- Remove the macaroons (still in their baking cups) from the baking tray immediately after they leave the oven and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Refrigerate for storage.
- The macaroons tend to stick to the parchment paper slightly, so serve the macaroons while still in their paper baking cups.
- For a slightly fluffier texture, first start by whipping cold egg whites into a a stiff peaked meringue. In a metal or glass bowl, add the egg whites and a small pinch of salt. Using an electric hand mixer, whip into your meringue. Slowly add the honey, the flavoring chosen, and then carefully fold in the coconut flakes.