Coconut Macaroons (Egg Free)
These coconut macaroons are egg free and can also be made in an almond-free variant described below.
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1 1/2 cups fine shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- One of the flavor options below
- Vanilla. 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla powder or vanilla beans
- Mango. 1/3 cup crushed freeze dried mangos
- Berries. 1/3 cup of crushed freeze dried berries (raspberries, strawberries or blueberries in any combination)
- Lemon. 1 teaspoon lemon flavor plus 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 200 F.
- Combine all dry ingredients and flavor choice in a large bowl.
- Warm coconut oil just until it melts to a liquid using a double boiler or by placing in a small Pyrex dish at 300 F in a toaster oven.
- Mix honey (warm to liquefy if the honey is too thick) and coconut oil together and add to mixture in bowl.
- Mix all ingredients well until evenly moist.
- To form the macaroons, the fast and simple way is to line a Pyrex or other baking dish with parchment paper and pour the mixture into the dish, pressing into a compressed unified layer. This can be cut into small squares after baking and cooling.
- For a fancier shaped macaroon, using a sturdy rounded measuring tablespoon scoop and compress the mixture so that the spoon is packed and completely full. Gently slide the half sphere of mixture onto a parchment lined baking tray.
- Bake at 200 F for 1 hour.
- Let cool completely before touching (the macaroons are very fragile when warm).
- Refrigerate for storage.
- For a nut free version, replace the 3/4 cups of almond flour with 3 tablespoons of coconut flour.