Spicy Baked Eggplant Salad
A favorite in winter, hot or cold, when nice tomatoes are hard to find.
- 1 large Eggplant
- 2/3 cup tomatoe paste (we use 1 jar of 7oz Bionaturae organic tomato paste)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (plus 1 TBS to oil the Pyrex dish)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 garlic cloves or ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 350F
- Oil a 9×13 Pyrex dish with 1 tablespoon olive oil or high heat oil
- Wash the eggplant and slice even ½ inch slices.
- Cut slices to ½ inch cubes
- In a small bowl mix well the tomato paste, olive oil, water, and all spices.
- Place Eggplant cubes in the pre-oiled Pyrex dish, pour the tomato mixture over, and toss eggplant cubes with tomato mixture to blend well.
- Bake at 350F 20 minutes, open the oven and carefully toss the eggplants with a long spatula, continue to bake 20 more minutes, toss again, and bake 10 more minutes. (Total bake time is about 45-55 minutes, tossing intermittently to prevent the eggplant from sticking to the Pyrex)
- If the eggplant appears too dry add 1 more tablespoon of water while baking.