This dish was created in the tiny kitchen of a college dorm. Gil is eating SCD since he was in elementary school. Now a college student, he first created this dish in a regular pot at his dorms. On his last visit home he adapted it and made it in the instant pot, which saves cooking time and results in a delicious soft stew meat.
- 1 lb cubed stew beef
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1-2 yellow or sweet onions
- 4 baby bok choy clusters
- 1 tsp salt (added at the end of cooking)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 tsp minced ginger
- 1/2 cup water
- Drizzle olive oil into an Instant Pot
- Add chopped onions into the pot
- Set on “Sauté” until the onions start to caramelize, stirring occasionally (can take up to 30 minutes)
- While the onions sauté , wash the bok choy and separate the leaves
- Mix the ingredients for the sauce.
- When the onions are ready, add the beef and bok choy into the pot
- Mix in the sauce and close the lid
- Set the Instant Pot to “Stew” for 30 minutes
- When done, add 1 tsp salt and mix
Note: At this point the stew is ready to eat. You may also leave it steaming in the Instant Pot on the “Keep Warm” setting to reduce and thicken the sauce.
This sauce is a variation of an SCD Asian sauce recipe from Raman Prashad’s book Recipes for the Specific Carbohydrates Diet