This simple yet delicious recipe is a variation of our Easy key lime pie and bars, that is another family favorite.
SCD Lemon bars
SCD, Paleo, GAPS. This sweet and tart favorite is easy to prepare and very versatile, as it can be baked as a pie or as square bars, and the ingredients are interchangeable. Feel free to replace the butter with coconut butter, the lemons with limes, clementines or even pumpkin puree (adjust honey to flavor).
Base layer ingredients:
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup honey
- 6 Tbs butter (melted)
- 1 Tbs vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp baking soda optional
Top layer ingredients:
- 3/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Line a Pyrex baking dish with baking paper (size 9" x 9" square dish or a round pie dish)
- Mix all the base ingredients well (the dough will be ‘sticky’) and spread evenly on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Bake about 15 minutes or until golden-brown
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- While the bottom layer is cooling, prepare the lemony top by simply combining all the top layer ingredients and mixing them well.
- Make sure the oven is still at 350 F as you get ready to bake again.
- Pour the lemony batter on top of the base. The batter will be ‘liquidy’.
- Carefully place the baking dish in the pre-heated oven (350) and bake for 25-30 minutes (until the batter firms up but before it gets too dry).