This chicken recipe has rapidly become a favorite at our home. It is a flavorful and delicious dish, with a pronounced Mediterranean flair that is relatively easy to make.
- 2 lbs. skinless and boneless chicken thighs
- 2 small onions
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 1/2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 2 heaping teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/3 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- Thinly slice the onions and then quarter the onion slices.
- Drizzle olive oil into a large skillet and on a low flame saute the onions until they are translucent stirring occasionally to separate the pieces.
- While the onion is sautéing, cut the chicken thighs into smaller bite sized pieces.
- Once the onions have started to caramelize, add the chicken pieces to the skillet.
- Gently stirring the skillet, add the dry spices and the tomato paste.
- Keep the mixture at a low simmer. At first, there will not be much moisture but that will quickly build as the chicken cooks.
- At this stage, all that is needed is to continue stirring occasionally to ensure all the chicken pieces have cooked through (usually in less than 15 minutes).
- This recipe scales up or down easily, for 1 lb. of chicken, simply use one onion, half of the spices and half of the tomato paste.
- This dish pairs excellently with cauliflower rice.